ScoreBoardMemories.com Ireland.. Irish Home of All Ireland Hall of Fame Online Gallery
Gordon Joyce Of Cork Represented Ireland 80 Times In Amateur Boxing
Gordon Joyce comes from a Cork family steeped in boxing on Cork's Leeside and his two brothers, Kieran and Barry, are well known in Irish boxing circles from their days in the rings in the 1970's and 80's. Their club was Sunnyside, on Blarney Streeet, on Cork's inner northside district of the city.
Gordon started boxing at 7 years old and his first fight was in 1977, age 8, when he fought at St. Munchin’s Club, Limerick. He lost that very first match at 4st 7lbs. Gordon went on to win County Leagues; County Championships; Munster & All Ireland at Age 11 at 5st 7lb.
Gordon's coach was the highly respected Albie Murphy, a member of The Sunnyside Boxing Club, who coached many Cork boxers on international stages around the globe and he was the regular corner man for Gordon Joyce.
A summary of the Sunnyside boxers career is as follows:
· 1st Competitive Year Was 1980
· 1980: Made History – Gordon, Kieran & Barry Joyce Became Only 3 Brothers To Win National Juvenile Titles On The Same Day
· 1986: Won Under 18; Intermediate & Senior Titles – Became Youngest Ever Senior Champion Of Ireland At 17
· Competed At World Junior; European Junior & European Senior Championships
· Competed In Many Multi Nations Championships
· Fought The Renowned Roy Jones In the Goodwill Games In Moscow In 1986
· Fought The Famous Joe Calzage In 1989 In An International V Wales In Barry Island.
· Fought Ray Downey Of Canada In His Hometown And Beat Him Comfortably In May 1989. Gordon Was Called In At Last Minute. Ray Downey Was World No.1 At That Time
· Senior International Debut On 16th February 1986 At Light Welterweight
· Competed In 10 National Senior Finals - Winning 4 – 3 At Light Welterweight In 1986/87/88; Lightheavy In 1994
· Won 2 Gaelic Youth Medals In 1984/'85 At Lightweight
· Won Numerous Multi National Gold Medals
· Represented Ireland 80 Times
· Coaching Boxing At C.I.T. Boxing Club, Cork, in 2015
· Current Secretary & Treasurer Of Sunnyside Boxing Club
Gordon Joyce was inducted into The All Ireland Hall Of Fame Online Gallery in a SportsLife Presentation by Derry JF Doody at The Commons Inn Hotel, Cork, Ireland, on Friday 10th April 2015.
The story of Gordon Joyce as a supreme Cork boxer will now be presented and preserved for Irish boxing fans around the globe courtesy of The All Ireland Hall Of Fame Online Gallery.