BOHEMIANS FC OF DUBLIN..Established 1889
When a small group of aspiring footballers from Bells Academy, a civil service college in North Great Georges Street, Dublin, joined with students from the Hibernian Military School at the Gate Lodge in the Phoenix Park, on 6th September 1890, they formed a club to partake in the fledgling Dublin scene of Association football.
The origins of this meeting at the North Circular Road entrance to the Phoenix Park lay in the establishment of Richfield Sports Club on 19th October 1889. This club had emerged from the playing of ‘association football’ at Bells Academy and the need to accommodate participants from outside the college in the organisation of the game. Andrew Philip Magill and Hamilton Paul Bell, were appointed Honorary Secretary and Treasurer of the Richfield club respectively. Census records show Magill and Bell to have been aged eighteen and seventeen at the time of the inaugural meeting of Bohemian F.C. and both were born in Dublin.Magill was the Protestant son of a Swiss mother and Bell was a Roman Catholic, who claimed proficiency in the Irish language.
It is difficult to ascertain the precise inspiration behind the adaptation of ‘Bohemians’ as the most suitable name for the new club. Tony Reid, in his Official Club History of Bohemian A.F.C. published in 1976, stated that ‘Frank Whittaker’ proposed the name Bohemians, because the player’s wanderings in search of a suitable playing venue reminded one of a bunch of ‘gypsies’, and as such, ‘they were truly Bohemian in spirit’.
The club was to wander from the Phoenix Park to Jones Road in 1893, before moving to Whitehall, Glasnevin, in 1895 where they played until their permanent move to ‘Pisser Dignam’s Field’ at Dalymount, Phibsboro in 1901. Certainly, the term ‘Bohemian’ was often used in the contemporary parlance of Dublin culture and society.
The first appointed officers of the club were Alex Blayney as Chairman, Dudley Hussey as Honorary Secretary and Frank Whittaker, who became Honorary Treasurer and Joseph F. Whelan was appointed as club captain. Among those also present at the meeting, were Hamilton Bell, Michael O’ Sullivan, John Blayney, Willie, James and George Sheehan, Michael Whelan, S. Bell, A.P. Magill, Dan Blayney, J. Sealey, James Gough, Albert Wilson and Edmund Greary.
Little is known of the Bohemian Club’s playing program for 1890 and 1891. Certainly, no administrative body was in place at a county level to administrate local competitions or arrange a fixture list. A general meeting of the club was held at Costigan’s Hotel on Upper Sackville (O’ Connell) Street on 12th September 1891 to elect new officers for the forthcoming year, less than a month before the death of Charles Stewart Parnell. At this meeting, ‘it was resolved unanimously, that Albert Wilson be requested to accept the presidency of the club’. Messrs Wheeler and Ledwich were elected as members and a notice was published requesting club secretaries to contact Dudley Hussey to organise fixtures.
An ‘association football’ match between Dublin University and Bohemians did take place later in the year on 5th December 1891 in the College Park. It's highly likely that similar fixtures took place around this time, of which no evidence survives. As became common practice, the team was published in The Irish Times rightbeside details of kick-off times and rendezvous points for players. The starting line up indicated a complete cross over in terms of administrative and playing members at this time. This also illustrates the young age profile of Bohemians as the club president, treasurer and chairman, all took to the field to play Dublin University.
In 2007, a decision was made to introduce a new initiative aimed at honouring the past contributions of players, managers and club staff to The Bohemian Football Club. The awards not only place the spotlight on the achievements of previous generations, but also point to the rich historic fabric of the club. The Hall of Fame honours keeps precious moments of the club’s history safe for following generations of supporters to observe and draw fresh inspiration from.
Those inducted into the Hall of Fame to date are:
BILLY YOUNG; TONY O’CONNELL; TURLOUGH O’CONNOR; TONY O’CONNOR and JACKIE JAMESON.
Dalymount Park is famous for its football but also the club have a unique stadium, where under the main stand is home to three hospitable bars – the Members’ Bar, the Phoenix Bar and the Jackie Jameson Bar. The main bar – the Members’ Bar – is open every Friday and Saturday evening, as well as every Sunday from 12pm. It also open early on Bohs match-nights and for other televised sporting events whilst the Phoenix Bar and Jackie Jameson Bar, are open on match-nights and available to hire as function rooms.
Please Note! This All Ireland Hall Of Fame Tribute and Recognition of Dublin's famous BOHEMIANS FC will be continued very soon..
Derry JF Doody @ All Ireland Hall Of Fame Online Gallery